Sunday, July 13, 2014

Growing, growing, growing Weekly email #70

Well family, I've had some growing pains this week. Last week we met President Schmitt and that was great. His family is super cute. His youngest, Clayton, is 6 and 3/4 and when I stood up to make a comment in our meeting and announced my name, President Schmitt said that the night before they were looking at all the pictures and names of missionaries on the transfer board and Clayton pointed me out and said he liked my name. haha. I think I've said this before, but the two most common questions I get on my mission are "How come you don't have an accent if you're from Texas?" and "Was your dad ever bishop?" haha. Like I never thought of it. Anyway, it was cute.
But the growing pains came from the new trial of having 2 companions instead of one and President Schmitt letting us know of a new rule, that really isn't that difficult, but under the stress I was already in, it was the last straw on my back. Oi, it was hard. So I called in for heavy duty reinforcements! I texted Elder Lucero (the district leader) and asked if I could get a blessing.
I am so grateful for the priesthood. Dad, once again, I thought of you as I told Elder Lucero my full name. =P It's always nice. Anyway, it was a wonderful blessing, as they always are. The best part of it, and I'll share this because I hope it strengthens others, is that it said Heavenly Father has blessed me with the gift of love and the ability to make others feel comfortable and receive Heavenly Father's love. Then I was told the way I use it is by being obedient and sharing my knowledge. I don't know if I've said this throughout my mission, but I have STRUGGLED to  love people when it doesn't come easily. Man, I am usually on the struggle-bus. I cannot even tell you what peace it brought to my soul when I heard that. I have prayed for love and charity over and over and here it was, right in a priesthood blessing at a time of great need, that Heavenly Father has blessed me with that gift. The week was still difficult, but it improved greatly.
I am reminded of what Paul said in 2 Corinthians 12. The gist of it is that he feels super blessed to be receiving so many revelations, and there was placed a thorn in his flesh. He prayed and asked God to remove it 3 times, but Christ said "My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness". Paul says "Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."
That was me this week. I hope you all feel the power of the atonement in your lives. It is real. And true. And especially for you.
Will someone tell Sister Kathryn Balley thanks for the dear elders she sends me? I've received one almost every week for the past little while. I love the insights she sends. I just don't have much time to reply to her letters.
As far as people we've taught: Selena and her mom Theresa came to church on Sunday. Susie and Charles did not come. =[ We haven't found any new investigators in 2 weeks and I'm really starting to get hungry for new investigators. We're seeing small miracles, though. Last Wednesday a member, Sister Pescar, had us and 2 non-members over for dinner. We taught a little restoration and they said they'd be willing to learn. We tried calling them and they haven't called back yet. But it was a great meeting! Little miracles are happening! Keep up the missionary work!!!!
Love, -Sister Bishop
pic 1 - @ Balboa park before we went into the science center (I'm pretty sure Rose played in the waterfall-thing the week before)
pic 2 - myself, Sister Leonard, Sister Chavez, Sister Pescar, and Sister Sheperd at a "family game night" Sister Pescar put on.
pic 3 - me with Elder and Sister Watkins. I knew them when I was serving in Chula Vista and they knew Don because they were serving a military relations mission. They're going home on Friday and they took me and my companions out to lunch before they left!  





No comments:

Post a Comment