Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Transfer #11 Weekly email #62

Hey family! I don't have a ton to say since I just talked to some of you on Sunday. And let me just say, I am so happy President Clayton let us do video chat this time. I'm not sure why now and not before, but it was really great to see you  Mom, Dad, Julianne, and Tim! Thanks for the advice for moving forward. I am excited for all of the time I have left to serve the Lord! 

To give you an idea of the kind of people I'm working with here.....

Right after talking to you guys on Sunday we went out and tried to see some people. We saw an investigator that had canceled the appointment we were supposed to have on Saturday. We tried talking to him to see if he knew how to get into an apartment complex and he would not slow down his walking and when we caught up he just asked us some frenzied questions about why we need the book of mormon (he'd been reading it) and how he doesn't need it and some crazy things. I don't know what got into me, but I stood right in front of him so he couldn't walk and I said "Brother Thomas, the Book of Mormon is true!" I probably said some other things that he didn't listen to, and he just walked away not listening to a single word we were saying. I guess we were broken up with. But I really wanted Brother Thomas to know the truth! He would be so blessed! HE NEEDS THE GOSPEL!!!!! gah! Agency is so frustrating sometimes. I don't know how Heavenly Father just watches us make bad choices. 

Also, on Saturday we were finding a spot to park our car on a crowded road, and the only spot was right next to a rough looking group of people. We decided to park there anyway and when we got out one of the men came up to us to be polite and listened to a few things we were saying. Somehow we actually talked to a different guy while in the background people were swearing and drinking and smoking. The police even came up and took them aside one by one to break the party up. They didn't bother us, though. We taught a lesson to Troy and said a prayer, all while that was happening. El Cajon is crazy! It's definitely not the same as my previous area where a lot of the stake was pretty wealthy. But not everyone in Poway was wealthy. That probably prepared me to help the people here. My love for them is growing. =] 

I've been reading Jesus The Christ off and on for the past 6 months of my mission, but recently set a goal to have it finished by June 9th, so I've been reading it with fervor. (is that the right word?) Anyway, as I read from it I'm noticing that Jesus says that people are healed because of their faith. It is so important to have faith in Christ so that we can be healed, or perform miracles, or change by using the atonement. No wonder the first principle of the gospel is faith in Jesus Christ! I'm also really struck by all of the miracles Jesus performs for these people! He is so loving! I see miracles happen in peoples lives while on my mission, and it's because of Christ. I am so grateful that He performed the atonement and we have the priesthood so that through priesthood ordinances and using the atonement to repent, we can truly be saved. I love my Savior!!!!!! Everyone! Read the Book of Mormon! Pray sincerely! Ask for opportunities to share your testimony of the truthfulness of the gospel and GO FIND THEM!!!! People are perishing in unbelief, and they need to know what we have. (stepping down from my soap box now)

I love my Savior. There is probably nothing better I could have done for my testimony than come on a mission. I know He lives. And I will share that love. I invite you all to do the same. 

LOVE, -Sister Bishop 


pic 1 - my zone after zone meeting 

pic 2 - Sister Sheperd drawing part of the Plan of Salvation with chalk 


No comments:

Post a Comment