Tuesday, December 10, 2013

We got a surprise Christmas tree! Missionary miracle. Weekly email #40

Familia! 

I have to start out with saying that yes, mom, I got the package. It was super fun to open! I'm really glad you sent the blouse with the flowers on it and my headband and the other purple shirt with the pocket. And the scarf is so beautiful! see pic 1. And I am super honored to wear the sweater Julianne wore her whole mission. I put it on right when I got it and wore it for the rest of the day. *heads up to Julianne. This part is for her. And I hope she feels bad for NOT EMAILING ME THIS WEEK* When I took off the sweater to hang it up at the end of the night, I don't know what possessed me to do this but I looked at the back of the tag and I saw that Julianne had written her initials and a heart and a star. Julianne, I just want you to know that my heart melted. It was such a tender moment for me. (pic 2 I'm wearing the sweater)

This week I got to go on exchanges with Sister Sorensen. That was fun. =] We got to see a miracle. We had received a referral from some elders up in Ramona and they had already set up an appointment for us. So we went up there and 30 minutes before the lesson we got a member to say he could come. That was a miracle. Anyway, we go to teach Heather, who is 28, and amazing things happened. Heather used to date a mormon guy and he invited her to church. She liked it so she met with the missionaries. But when she broke up with the guy she stopped going to that ward and meeting with the missionaries. She recognized she wanted to make changes and what she was learning was good so she referred herself on mormon.org!!!! Cool, huh? Anyway, Sister Sorensen brings up baptism at the perfect time and Heather says "I was hoping you'd ask me that". WHO SAYS THAT?! Prepared people, that's who. So then we invited her to be baptized on December 28th, and she said "sure! What day of the week is it so I can ask it off?" WHAT THE HEAVEN?! It was really amazing. When we left the lesson Kyler, the member, said "Could she have made it any easier for you guys?" Haha. It was easy. Elder Ballard always says that when you teach the doctrine people will ask us if they can be baptized. That's essentially what happened. It was so wonderful. 

Sister Tengberg (you saw a picture of me in their decorated home before) asked us a week or so ago if we needed anything. I said we would love to have a Christmas tree, so she surprised us a got us a 4 feet tall Christmas tree with ornaments and decorations. Sister Palmer and I had a blast putting it up on Friday. see pic 3. Hey Dad! Are you wearing your Christmas ties? Will you take a picture with them on and send them to me? I miss seeing you in them. 

We got to watch the Christmas Devotional on Sunday. Elder Nelson said that at Christmas we spend time with our families and family time is sacred time. I was sitting there wondering why missionaries don't get family time (well, we do get to phone home. That's awesome. =] ) on Christmas if it's so sacred. At that point, I finally understood the saying "missionaries leave their family for a short time so others can be with theirs forever". It was really special. =] 

Anyway, family, I don't think I have anything else to say. I love you! Merry Christmas! 

-Sister Audrey Bishop 


pic 1 - Elder Casey (zone leader) put on my scarf last week 

pic 2 - Elder Hill (district leader), Elder Arntsen, myself, and Sister Palmer. We had a mostly district lunch on Friday which was my 9 month mark. Then took a picture. Gotta love timers! 
pic 3 - Us and our little Christmas tree. It adds a lot of Christmas spirit in our missionary apartment. There's a picture of Jesus taped at the top. You might be able to see it if you zoom in. 


The best picture of all! It's a Texas ornament on Bishop Meacham's tree. They used to live in Austin. Anyway, enjoy! 

A picture from Elder Brent VanAlfen who says Mom and Dad sure raised a wonderful daughter!


No comments:

Post a Comment