Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Thanksgiving and Temple lights. Weekly email #39

Hey Family! 

Transfers were super crazy last week! My favorite district leader got transferred and became a zone leader back in Chula Vista! I'm sad he's not my district leader anymore, but I'm happy he's a zone leader and I got to see him at MLC (mission leadership council) yesterday AND at the temple lights, so it's alright. And our new district leader, Elder Hill, is way cool. Sister Pond, WHOM I LOVE SO MUCH (see pic 1)  is the new sister training leader!!!!! It was super funny. They pulled Sister Engebretsen out of Chula 3rd (my birth place!) and Sister Kober went home, which meant they were whitewashing Chula 3rd which is weird because they just white washed it in March when Sister Brown and I went in. But whatever. Anyway, Sister Pond's companion was getting transferred, so we figured Sister Pond and Sister Engebretsen would be companions and Sister Pond would be the new STL! Anyway, when President Clayton announced it in transfer meeting a ton of people around me (and myself) raised our fists and quietly cheered because we were so happy. President Clayton chuckled and said that it was the best muffled cheer he's ever heard. Haha. It was awesome. So maybe Sister Pond and I will get to be companions someday. I sure do hope so. =D =D =D 

Oh, but this is the part of transfers that you'll think is interesting. Elder Mason Lucero is now in my mission! Apparently he's waiting for his visa, but it's still super cool. I was so excited when he introduced himself in transfer meeting. I went up to him afterwards and had to help him remember who I am. But still. It's awesome. 

The next day was Thanksgiving!!!!!! Hooray! That morning a bunch of missionaries in our zone played football for exercise. It was fun to have a mini turkey bowl. ate dinner at the Brundage's. (he's in the bishopric) Their home is GORGEOUS and HUGE. Their was tons of yummy food made and there was so much food leftover they sent us home with some. Oh darn. =P But really, there were kids and adults and the food was yummy and Thanksgiving was awesome! (see pic 2) 

Our YSA ward combined with 2 other YSA wards in the area for fast and testimony meeting this week. It was a ton of fun. We had to get permission to go out of our zone for church, which was funny. But the missionaries serving in the Palomar ward had to call their mission president and get permission to come to church because they're in the Carlsbad mission! It was so weird when they walked in because we didn't know those missionaries. haha. But it was way fun. Our investigator, Ashley, was well taken care of. She went to church one time in the Black Mountain ward and she saw some of those people, but she said she likes our ward better! Yippee! Our ward is great, after all. I'm so stoked to be here for Christmas! =D ....Anyway....

Last night our ward was going to the temple for Sights and Sounds. Sights and Sounds means looking at the temple lights and listening to a small choir from a community church (as in not LDS). Anyway, we really wanted to go so we set up a lesson with Ashley for right after we watched/listened to the choir and got permission to leave our zone for it. The temples lights are SO BEAUTIFUL! After the choir sang we went to a spot of grass on temple grounds and had a lesson. We just briefly taught the beginning of the restoration, but we can tell that Ashley's faith is growing. She is becoming more confident that she'll be baptized on January 4th and she's reading the Book of Mormon and she can tell it's making her happier! Please pray she'll make her date. We are really excited for her. 

Everyone should watch the new Mormon Message that's up on lds.org It's called "The Reason Behind Christmas" and it's really cute and touching. Also, I really love this verse:  

3 Nephi 5:13  Behold, I am a disciple of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. I have been called of him to declare his word among his people, that they might have everlasting life. 

Being a missionary is so great. =D 

Oh, really fast: the call home on Christmas is supposed to just be for Mom and Dad, and it's only supposed to be 30-40 minutes. I would love to hear everyone's voice super fast, which is okay, but it's supposed to be quick. So what if we coordinate the timing of the phone call with everyone and see who can listen in to the conversation? But I can only say hi for a minute or two, and then it's back to mom and dad. 

Can't wait! Christmas is the best! Love, Sister Audrey Michelle Bishop 



pic 1 - Sister Pond and I after transfer meeting 

pic 2 - my companion and I on Thanksgiving showing the porch of the Brundage's home

pic 3 - the 4 English sister training leaders after MLC 

pic 4 - I know you can't really see our faces, but it's Kadi Baggett (AMAZING member and fellowshipper. She's an RM. We'll probably be friends after my mission) , Sister Palmer, myself, and Ashley. 

pic 5 - A lot of people from the ward. Back row first: Jake, Chris, Thomas, Tom, Kyler
front row: Sister Palmer, myself, Kristi, Ashley, and Kadi . THE BEAUTIFUL TEMPLE AND CHRISTMAS LIGHTS! 

pic 6 - the most beautiful temple ever all lit up for Christmas. =]





No comments:

Post a Comment